Thursday, August 25, 2011

Overheard

Overheard at lunch today (the speaker was talking about faith/church) - "It's really all about you, what you get out of it."

It struck me...I might have said the same thing not so long ago, but the more I get to know God, the bigger He gets and the smaller I become. It has become a topic of conversation lately in our house...why we go to church. (I read that the tween years are all about the "why." Man, I thought that was all done when she was 3!)

I think I know why NOT. The "why" is not...so I can see my friends...so I can wear my new dress...so I can be entertained by the worship service...so I can complain about how x, y or z should be.

The why is to worship Him. To know Him. To serve Him. To learn how He loves so that we can love others.

It's all about me? That seems to be a common illness in our society, but one that is easily remedied. Just ponder, for a moment, the awesomeness of our God, and then say it again. Out loud. It just sounds silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment